How To Secure Storage Containers
Shipping containers are a great option to choose when you need extra space to store your belongings, equipment, and other valuables. However, it’s important to ensure that your storage space is secure against break-ins. This blog addresses some of the different measures you can take, including:
- Locks and security measures to directly secure storage containers
- Choose a secure location to park your on-site storage container
- Optimal security at an off-site storage facility
Locks & Security Measures To Directly Secure Storage Containers
First things first, you’ll need to ensure that your storage container is directly protected from theft and mischief. Some options for locking up you container include:
- Lock Boxes | a lock box is an extremely strong steel box that is welded onto the outside of your container door. In addition to hiding your padlock from access and sight to prevent tampering, a lock box also offers weather protection and a longer lifespan for the padlock.
- Heavy Duty Padlocks | such as the “shutter” type padlock work well to secure storage containers, particularly when used inside of a lock box.
- Crossbar Locks | these locks work by clamping onto the door of the container, held in place with a keyed lock mechanism. They are extremely secure against lockpicks and bolt cutters.
- Inner Bolts | provide additional security by locking a container from the inside.
- Alarm Systems | just like in a house, you can rig your container with an alarm system to alert the presence of intruders.
Choose a Secure Location to Park Your On-Site Storage Container
Having chosen a secure method of preventing illegal access into your container, it’s time to think about where is the best location to store it.
If it’s most convenient to keep your storage container on your private property, it’s a good idea to choose the most secure place for it. Despite the fact that a container may be less than aesthetically pleasing to the eye, storing it close to your house is a good way to deter unwanted activity.
While work sites often have the benefit of being in centralised locations, they can also be an attractive prospect to vandals and miscreants. In order to better secure your storage container, think about the following:
- Traffic & Activity | position the container in the location that receives the most activity from traffic and people passing by.
- Close to Shops | place the container in the direction of neighbouring shops, as they are likely to have to form of camera surveillance that you could benefit from.
- Lighting | if you can, place the container in the vicinity of existing lighting, or install lighting yourself.
Consider Surveillance In Remote Areas
Do you have no choice but to store your container in a remote area, with only infrequent periods of access? In that case, consider installing a form of surveillance in addition to secure locking.
Optimal Security | Secure Your Container at an Off-Site Storage Facility
For ultimate peace of mind, secure your container off-site in a professional storage facility. Caboolture Container Hire & Sales offers secure container storage at our facility in Narangba, Queensland.
Our storage facility is fully fenced and gated to keep out intruders. To access your storage container, customers are required to make a booking with management to open the gates. This supervision enables an even greater level of security than traditional storage facilities who allow 100s of people unsupervised access 24/7, with only a roller door and code to screen entry.
What’s included in our off-site storage facility?
- Affordable rates
- Fully fenced & gated compound
- Towing services for drop off & pick up
- Hard stand storage space for boats & vehicles
- Short-term & long-term hire options
- Storage for privately-owned container; or
- Hire existing container space
Enjoy Secure Container Storage & Peace of Mind